World Relief’s mission is to empower the local church to serve the most vulnerable.
At World Relief Chicago (WRC), we train and equip churches to engage in authentic, reciprocal ministry within Chicago’s refugee and immigrant community. We want to invite you into the programs and projects we’re already carrying out, but we also want to hear your ideas and find out how we can serve your church! You'll find some ideas below to get you started, but please reach out to us with your own ideas.
For more information, contact Church Mobilizer Sara Aardema at email@example.com or 773-681-8569.
- Pick out a book to read or movie to watch from our WRC Staff Recommendations List.
- Attend a volunteer orientation. We hold informative, engaging volunteer orientations at least once a month at the WRC offices in Albany Park (3507 W. Lawrence). Here's a list of upcoming dates and an online registration form.
- Schedule an onsite volunteer orientation or cross-cultural training with a WRC staff member at your church.
- Participate in a Refugee Resettlement Simulation led by WRC staff and volunteers.
- Intern with WRC!
- Try out one of our ongoing volunteer opportunities.
- Host a field trip or picnic for refugee & immigrant families.
- Participate in our annual backpack drive for recently arrived refugee families! This is a fun way for families with young kids to engage in WRC’s work.
- Provide a welcome kit to an arriving refugee family or individual.
- If you're moving, doing some spring cleaning, or just have extra furniture you want to pass on- donate your clothing, household items, and furniture to WRC! Jacob Mau, our In-Kind Donations Coordinator, can even schedule a pick up at your home. Contact Jacob at firstname.lastname@example.org or 773-681-8549.
- I’m sure we don’t need to remind you of this, but Chicago winters are COLD! We’re always looking to stock up on boots, blankets, coats, hats, gloves, scarves, and other cold weather accessories to give to refugee families who arrive in the winter months.
- Make an online donation to support the work we carryout out with refugees, immigrants, and local churches.
- Sign up to receive our monthly prayer guides and commit to praying regularly with us!
- Join us for a prayer walk through Albany Park or Rogers Park.
- Host a fun event and donate the proceeds to WRC. Think used book sales, clothing swaps, bingo nights, hula hoop contests- you name it!
MARK YOUR CALENDAR FOR THESE ANNUAL EVENTS:
- Spring Benefit Dinner- Friday, May 12, 2017 at White Eagle
- The Justice Conference- June 9-10, 2017
- World Refugee Day- June 20
- World Relief Refugee 5K Run/Walk- September 24, 2016
Want to be the first to hear about everything going on at WRC? Sign up for our mailing list by emailing Lisa Selph at email@example.com or calling 773-583-9191.