Welcome! We are so excited you are here.
Before we even begin, we want to say thank you. Thank you for your interest in serving refugees and immigrants. Whether you have been touched by a story, a friend, or a life, we are so happy you are interested in walking alongside our friends.
There are several ways you can make an impact in the lives of refugees.
- Donate to World Relief today. The most recent and significant changes to U.S. Immigration policy, including a substantial reduction of refugees allow to enter the U.S., as well as funding cuts to the Refugee Admissions Program--compromise our ability to adequately care for refugees and immigrants. While government policy may change, our commitment to standing alongside the vulernable stands firm--but we need your help.
- Advocate for refugees now. Far too often, the voices of the poor and oppressed have been marginalized or silenced. These communities need advocates to speak on their behalf. You can be that advocate today.
- Pray for the vulnerable. One of the most impactful ways you can stand with us is through prayer. We believe God truly hears our prayers and works to bring hope and healing.
- Volunteer with us. We are especially in need of ESL Tutors for adults and youth, as well as Health Advocates. Please keep reading to find out about ways you can serve!
Citizenship Workshops - Help clients apply for citizenship at our monthly workshops. Good for Spanish-speakers, immigration advocates, individuals with a legal background. Commitment: one-time, half-day. Locations: Albany Park and nearby neighborhoods.
Saturday, June 10th
- 5k Race Day Volunteer - Looking for enthusiastic people to help with Course Set-up, Registration, Start/Finish Line, or Water Station!
Date: Saturday Septempber 9th, 2017
Location: Bunker Hill Forest Preserve, Chicago IL
Health Advocate - Serve as an advocate and mentor for your refugee friend in navigating the American medical system. Assist them in getting to appointments, filling out paperwork, and making sure they have interpretation. Advocate to ensure they receive proper medical care despite cultural and language barriers. Refugee clients include single moms, those with medical or mental disabilities, or those with chronic medical conditions. Good for: individiuals, those with medical experience or interests. Commitment: 2 hrs/week, 4 months. 3-4 appointments required. Locations: Rogers Park, West Ridge, Albany Park, South Evanston, downtown Chicago, Illinois medical district. Occasional possibilities for others, such as south and west sides.
In-Home English Tutors - Choose to work with refugee adults or youth! Help your student practice English and/or help with homework. Individuals, college students. Commitment: 2 hrs/wk, 4 months. Locations: Rogers Park, West Ridge, Albany Park, Evanston. Occasional possibilities for others, such as south and west sides.
Youth Summer Learning Program – Engage with refugee youth through a fun and educational summer program designed to foster new friendships and encourage learning throughout the course of the summer. Help coordinate a summer soccer program, assist in leading youth field trips, or participate in daily small group games and activities.July 3 - August 11, 2017. Monday – Friday, 2:00 – 5:00 PM. At least 1x/per week commitment for the full session.
ESL Classroom Volunteer - Help out during our daily, on-site morning ESL classes. Location: World Relief Chicago. Commitment: 2 hours & up, per week, 3 months. Hours are Tues.—Fri., between 9 am & 12 pm.
Women's Wellness Class Volunteer - Assist World Relief and The Kedzie Center staff in developing weekly activities, discussions, and/or workshops in alignment with the “Pathways to Wellness” curriculum. In collaboration with the second volunteer, develop weekly welcoming ice-breakers/activities. Using Women’s Wellness funds, purchase snacks and beverages prior to classAssist World Relief staff in providing reminder calls to refugee participants when needed. Commitment: Wednesdays 1:30 - 3:00pm, 3 hours/per week, 3 months. Classes start May 17th, 2017. Location: World Releif Chicago. Must attend a pre-session meeting with World Relief and The Kedzie Center staff.
Good Neighbor - Not currently accepting applications due to low rate of refugee arrivals. Good Neighbor Program is anticipated to reopen in Fall 2017!
Ready to get started? APPLY HERE
Got Professional Skills?
- Yoga Instructors
- Business Consultants
- Graphic Designers
- IT gurus
- and many more!